Recipe Addiction Pages

1.8.11

Chicken Cordon Bleu

I wish that this picture could do this meal justice, but it clearly doesn't. Although it might not look too appetizing in this picture, this recipe is so good! It is one of my favorite quick, go-to meals to make, and Lucas loves it. I have made it a few times for dinner with guests, and everyone else that has tried it loves it also. So this one is a winner!


Chicken Cordon Bleu

You will need:

4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
4 pieces of swiss american cheese (stay with me here, it is so good!)
8 pieces of lunch meat ham OR 4 thick pieces of ham
bread crumbs/panko /crushed corn flakes or anything else you would like to add to the top
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pound chicken pieces out until thin. You can use a meat pounder, or if you are like me and don't have one of those quite yet, you can put your chicken between two pieces of wax paper and pound it with a rolling pin. 

Now lets talk about  the fact that this recipe uses american cheese. Yes, it is the kind that comes in their own wrapper. Yes, I normally hate pasteurized cheese and never use it in any other recipes.  Yes, it makes this recipe so extra delicious and the cheese that melts makes a really yummy sauce! If you are REALLY opposed to using it, I understand. And normal swiss cheese will still work great. But if you want to go out on a limb, I really don't think you will be disappointed!

So layer your cheese and ham on your chicken and roll up. You can keep it together with a toothpick if it doesn't look like it is going to stay.

Sprinkle your bread crumbs or whatever else you want to use for a crunch on top and add any other seasonings you like.  I use some regular old salt and pepper, and if I am feeling fancy I will add some dried herbs. Whatever sounds good!

Put the four pieces of chicken in a 8x8 casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through. 

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Carmella said...

Sounds great to me! I'm going to add this to my honey-do list for my hubby....we both love to cook, but his specialty is chicken :) Thanks for sharing!