Recipe Addiction Pages

25.7.11

Strombolli

If I was forced to eat only one food for the rest of my life, this would definitely be in the final three choices. (That's a pretty big decision though, so I can't say for sure.)  :)

This is something that my family has been eating since I can remember. It is basically a delicacy at our house, and whenever we feel like really impressing someone, we pull out this recipe.  I don't think I have ever seen anyone eat this that hasn't loved it. It really is so incredibly delicious! I think that this recipe played in a big hand in getting Lucas to marry me too. :) 

So here is the recipe for the ultimate super food. Its magic powers will impress everyone who eats it, and might even score you a spouse! 


Strombolli

What you need:

3 loaves of frozen Rhodes bread dough
1 lb Italian sausage
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 lb Mozzarella cheese
1/2 Romano cheese
Spaghetti or Marinara sauce for dipping

About 5-6 hours before you will be making strombolli, put your three loaves of frozen bread on a cookie sheet and cover it with a damp towel. Leave it on the counter so that it can thaw out. (I have made this recipe with home made bread too, and it turns out pretty good also. Although I still prefer to use Rhodes bread.)

When you are ready to make your strombolli, cook your sausage along with Italian seasoning until it is fully cooked. Drain meat.

 Yes, that is a potato masher. It is the most wonderful thing to cook meat with, because it breaks it all up so easily. The biggest downer? Metal on a Teflon pan. I know I shouldn't do that, but I can't help it! It just works so great!

Shred  both cheeses and mix to combine. 


Take 1 loaf of thawed bread and either roll it out in to a rectangle or just stretch it to get it to the size you desire. I usually just pick it up and stretch it and then spread it out more when it is on the pan. When you have your bread all spread out, put 1/3 of the shredded cheese on it, covering it all the way to the edges. Then put 1/3 of your cooked sausage covering the cheese.

Roll up the loaf like you would a cinnamon roll loaf. Put in oven and bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.


Slice and dip in spaghetti or marinara sauce. Enjoy!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember your mom making this. Delish!

Sara said...

Hi Jessica - Thanks for recommending using a Teflon® non-stick pan while making your Strombolli. I represent DuPont and it's always a pleasure to see people recommending our products in their recipes.

If you are interested in some other recipes for your blog, drop me an email and I would be glad to help you out! Thanks. Cheers, Sara

Kim said...

This would also make my top 3 list if forced to eat just 3 things. I have many a memories of this getting cooked at our house and filling it with the amazing smell. This is the best and only way to make stombolli!!!!!!

Gary said...

:-) Need I say more?

Anonymous said...

Comfort food!I found you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this stromboli widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about stromboli,thanks!