Recipe Addiction Pages

10.6.11

Pollo Fundido

We had my sister Kim and her husband Paul over for dinner last week. While we were eating, we were talking about one of our favorite subjects, good restaurants. Paul told us that he had eaten at a restaurant called Pachangas, and that their Pollo Fundido was amazing. Lucas and I had no idea what what Polo Fundido was, but after Paul explained it, I knew we had to try it! After a little researching on the Internet, this is the recipe I decided to go with. We loved it! The chicken was so good and flavorful, and the cream cheese... so good! That and the cheese turned in to oogey-gooey goodness in the oven. mmmm. Although next time I will probably cut down on the garlic salt, because I thought it was a little too salty.

Now all we have to do is go to Pachangas and see how it compares. I wouldn't want to feed it to Paul if it wasn't up to par. :)

Photo courtesy of The Bear Queen


POLLO FUNDIDO

Chicken Filling
1.5 lbs. chicken breasts (I just threw mine in frozen)
16 oz. jar Salsa Verde (I used La Victoria Thick N' Chunky)
2 cubes Chicken bouillon

Throw everything in the Crock Pot and cook on high for 3 - 4 hours or until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken and shred, put chicken back into Crock Pot with remaining sauce and mix thoroughly. Keep warm until ready to use.

Cream Cheese Sauce

8 oz. cream cheese (I used neufchatel- tastes just the same to me!)
1/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp. chopped jalapenos 
1 tsp. chicken base (liquid bouillon)
1 tsp. garlic salt (I will put less in next time!)

Soften cream cheese, and then mix in all the other ingredients. Add more jalapenos if you like things really spicy. Set aside. (I mixed mine in my blender.)

Other Ingredients

4 - 6 burrito size tortillas (I buy the ones you have to cook first)
4 - 6 slices cheddar or American cheese
Canola Oil (about 1/2 cup)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a medium sauce pan until hot. Place about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chicken filling on each tortilla. Fold one end over filling, then fold in the sides and continue to roll up burrito style until sealed well. Place burritos, one at a time, in hot oil, flipping over after about 30 seconds. Once golden brown, drain on paper towel or cooling rack. Place drained burritos on baking sheet. Spread cream cheese mixture on top, then top with a slice of cheese. Bake for
5 - 10 minutes until cheese melts.

**Note: Lucas and I decided that although this is definitely not a caloric friendly meal by any means, and you might as well go all out if you are going to eat a cheese covered burrito, we want to try it without frying the burritos first. We both agreed that it probably wouldn't change the taste too much, and it would help our cream cheese drenched hearts out a bit! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will be trying this tonight!

Joao said...

Can you freeze the jalapeño cream sauce for a future use? I made this recipe a couple weeks ago - Doubled the chopped jalapeño - amazing recipe